Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
AIR’s commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and cultural and linguistic competence (CLC) are essential to our mission and pivotal to our strategic goals. Staff members at every level in AIR are engaged in intentional and comprehensive efforts to integrate the principles and practices of DEI and CLC into every facet of their work. We constantly assess where we are as an organization, we set goals and benchmarks, and we create opportunities to share and course-correct as necessary to drive our improvement and progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Philosophy
AIR is proud of its tradition of maintaining a work environment that values DEI and promotes respect for the dignity of all individuals. This commitment is exemplified by the engagement of diverse board members, senior leadership, and staff in related strategies and activities. At AIR, we define diversity broadly, considering everyone’s unique life and community experiences. We believe that embracing diverse perspectives, abilities, racial/ethnic and cultural backgrounds, styles, ages, genders, gender identities and expressions, education backgrounds, and life stories drives innovation and employee engagement.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategy
We have adopted a DEI strategy that is based on four pillars. These pillars are fully integrated and operationalized in our broader organizational strategy, our approaches to research and evaluation, and our delivery of training and technical assistance.
- Workforce and Work Environment, in which we maximize our human capital and create an affirming and inclusive work environment by maximizing opportunities for each employee to engage in all facets of organizational life; enhancing staff members’ DEI awareness and skills; recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce with an emphasis on underrepresented groups; embedding DEI skills in staff development goals; and creating incentives to achieve those goals.
- Cultural Competence, in which we deliver research and technical assistance that reflect an understanding of and commitment to cultural competence. We establish a shared understanding of cultural competence, leverage staff members’ expertise in DEI to integrate CLC in all parts of our work, secure resources that support the development of CLC across our workforce, and promote the use of those resources.
- Aligning Our Work and Organizational Identity and Reputation by leading the field through rigorous, relevant research on topics related to DEI. We develop DEI work that builds on our existing expertise in inequalities related to educational opportunities, health disparities across races/ethnicities, socioeconomic status, disability status, and age.
- Sustainability and Growth, as we strive to surpass the expectations of clients and partners for a diverse and inclusive workforce. We intentionally focus on enhancing the diversity of partnerships and business relationships; increase visibility in markets that support underrepresented populations; and monitor and ensure full compliance with the statutory, regulatory, and contractual requirements that govern our work.
Annual AIR Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Report
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Annual Report (PDF) reflects many of the foundation building strides AIR has made, including employee-driven activities that are now embedded in our culture. As an organization, AIR is attempting to infuse Diversity & Inclusion into everything we do.
The purpose of this report is to:
- Increase awareness about AIR’s investment and efforts in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Increase understanding about AIR’s approach and strategy
- Share information about selected metrics
- Recognize the contributions of members on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council and in AIR’s Employee Resource Groups
Employee Resource Groups
Staff members come together to promote cultural awareness, professional development, collegial support and greater visibility for diversity at AIR.
Diversity, Equity, and and Inclusion Council
The Council is responsible for shaping the direction and strategies for AIR's diversity goals and includes representatives from across the organization. Learn more about the AIR Diversity, Equity, and and Inclusion Council and its important work in Diversity in Action Magazine.
Council Vice Chair
DEI in the News
- AIR's Pipeline Partnership Program seeks to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion in research and implementation fields.
- AIR was identified as one of the “50 Out Front: Best Places to Work for Women and Diverse Managers” by Diversity MBA Media.
- AIR's David Myers has joined more than 900 CEOs of the world’s leading companies and business organizations in signing the CEO Action Pledge for Diversity & Inclusion.
- Read Standing for Healing and Justice, a statement from President and CEO David Myers and D&I Director Karen Francis on June 1, 2020 about the protests following the death of George Floyd.
- AIR contributed an article, "From Curb to Gate: Improving Air Travel for People with Disabilities," in the Fall/Winter 2020 issue of Diverseability magazine.
- AIR was featured in recent editions of Diversity in Action magazine, in features titled "Celebrating Veterans" (November/December 2019), "Educational Equity" (Summer 2019, PDF), and "Champions of Inclusion" (March/April 2019, PDF).
As an organization, we are committed to meeting federal and state regulatory mandates and to ensuring nondiscrimination based on race, color, national origin, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, religion or creed.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a disability, please send an email to Taliba Boone at email@example.com or call (202) 403-5000.
AIR is committed to providing accessible information for all of our visitors regardless of disability, device or platform. Our standard is to meet at minimum WCAG level A guidelines in all cases and AA wherever possible. For those exceptions when content may not readily be available in accessible format, or for any user requiring additional assistance, we will provide an accessible version upon request.