National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), led by the National Center for Education Statistics within the Institute of Education Sciences, is the only nationally representative and continuing assessment of what America's students know and can do in various subject areas.
Assessments are conducted bi-annually in mathematics and reading, as well as periodically in science, writing, the arts, and other subject areas. These assessments serve as a common metric for all states and selected urban districts and, as a result, permit NAEP to provide a clear picture of student academic progress over time.
AIR supports the NAEP program as it continuously strives to remain the most trustworthy source of information on patterns and trends in the academic achievement of American youth, as well as a model of excellence and innovation in large-scale assessment. AIR supports:
- Maintaining the Gold Standard: Assessment Operations
- Extending the Reach of NAEP for Diverse Audiences: Reporting and Dissemination
- Extending the Reach of NAEP for Researchers: NCES Data R Project
- Providing Context for States: NAEP State Mapping Project
- Innovating Data Analytics: Center for Process Data
- Informing the NAEP Program and the Research Community: NAEP Research